A few weeks ago I wrote a post about the old rocking horse I found and was planning on renovating for Number Three’s first birthday. Well, the horse has been through quite an ordeal since then. The poor old fella has been stripped of his seat, had his head removed, his legs glued back in place and his face scraped off. Harsh as all that may sound, it is for the best. He couldn’t have gone on as he was. He was just too old, wobbly and generally dingy.
After giving him a good sanding down and a once-over with white undercoat, I took a break and set my thoughts to how I’d like him to look. I had a notion of going for a dappled grey look but needed a little more inspiration than that. So, as one does, I took to Pinterest . You can have a look at my Pinterest rocking horse ideas board here.
It took me a while to decide on the shade of grey I wanted (because there are apparently 50 or so). Too pale and it wouldn’t contrast well with the white, too dark and it might look drab. After a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, I decided to mix my own shade using a grey and a blue that I already had (leftover from painting chairs – what else!).
So far my little pony has been give one coat of grey. I’m hesitating before applying a second coat. I need to decide on how to do the dappled pattern. Do I want a stark grey-white contrast on the head only, or should I go for a medium grey overall with light grey and white patches all over the frame? The latter would be the prettier option I imagine, but also the more difficult to create.
While trying to decide on the pattern I started to work on the face. In the photo above you can see a photo of the original face. It was plain and simple but slightly reminiscent of a giraffe with the spots on the neck. I want to have a fuller mane and want to avoid the stencilled look of the original.
I tried to be patient but when I have an idea I need to go ahead with it immediately or I lose momentum. So I picked up one of Number Twos colouring pencils lying nearby and started sketching a face freehand straight onto the horse’s head. I think you can just about make it out in the photo above. Considering that it was a spur of the moment thing and a first attempt, I am quite pleased with how it turned out. Now the challenge will be the painting. I’ll need an extra portion of patience for that. Wish me luck!