I’ve been called many names in my life, from my two-year old cousin calling me Snu-la to an American customer mishearing me on the phone and calling me Cinderella. So it naturally occurred to me that many of you reading my blog may have absolutely no earthly idea how to pronounce my name. I can’t really blame you. I’ll admit it is not the most common of names, nor it is easy to remember how to spell. So I thought it might be nice to share with you the proper pronunciation.
Firstly though, here is a guide to what my name is not:
– Vanilla (for years I kept the fax message from the UK sarting “Hi Vanilla”)
– Flonula (what my au pair family thought my name was due to a typo on my letter of application)
– Viola (my work mate called me this for 2 years!)
– Fin-you-la (my son’s best friend calls me this)
– Fan-lu-na (ok, it was a child calling me this, but still)
– Vee-nula (my father-in-law’s attempt at correct pronunciation. It took a while to get past that).
– Fee-oh-nu-a-la (the go-to pronunciation for most non-Irish people)
P.S. I’m not so sure I’ll be doing much of this vlogging craic. I haven’t really got the flair for it, have I? (You can be honest).